Wednesday 31 March 2010

One of Those Days

You know how sometimes you just have a really rubbish day? One of those days where nothing particularly awful or tragic happens but so many little bad things happen that by the end of the day you just feel totally devoid of joy and let down by the universe. Well, I had one of those days today.

It started at 3 this morning. I am still full of this flu and overnight it got worse. I'd struggled to get to sleep in the first place so I'd only had 2 hours when I woke up. I tried in vain to get back to sleep but the flu kept finding new ways to keep me awake. First I got hot and sweaty, then I got cold and shivery, then my throat hurt so badly I started to think I maybe had tonsillitis instead and ran back and forth to the bathroom five time to check my tonsils for any suspicious behaviour. Then I started coughing, over and over again.

I was struggling not to wake up my DH. I tried everything to stop coughing. In the end I stood in the bathroom for 20 minutes, re-checking my tonsils and reading the label on the shampoo bottle several times until the coughing died down. I tried one more time to get some sleep but as soon as I laid down the coughing started. This was the point at which I admitted defeat, got up, got dressed and spent an hour messing about online before I had to get ready for work.

I felt like death warmed up but it was the last day of term and I didn't want to miss out on the fun. Unfortunately the 'fun' turned out to be spending 3 hours stamping and numbering books. It was about the least fun way to spend the last day of term that I could imagine.

From there on in, everything just went wrong. There was no milk for my coffee, the photocopier jammed, a box tried to bite back as I was carrying it to the cupboard and the canteen served up the worst food concoctions I'd ever seen.

And then AF came.

8DPO. I felt my spirits just drop to the ground as I wiped and found blood. I didn't even get to POAS this month. I really didn't feel anything this month and I wasn't expecting a BFP, but I didn't even get to see a BFN. Despite myself I'd had thoughts about having wonderful news for Easter and how special this weekend could be. Now all I have to look forward to is trying to cope with an uninvited aunt at the same time as my in-laws are down for a visit.

I set off home with cramps starting and the term coming to an end. It started raining just as I left the building. It was the only way a rubbish day could have ended, really.

Oh, and on the way home I got to see a BFN after all - BFN being three of the letters on the numberplate of a car that drove past me. It was the final irony in a day I couldn't wait to see the back of.

No comments:

Post a Comment