Saturday 27 March 2010

I Can't See My Floor

When my DH is away, I realised today, I become a bone-fide slob. It's not my fault, to be honest. It's the two insanely busy children who need 101 things going on at once to entertain them. My husband works from home so when I am not at work I am busy trying to keep them out of his way so he can concentrate. When he is visiting his family we just let loose.

Right now we have a pop-up goal post and a tunnel filling up half the floor, plus a duvet, a blanket, a pillow and Angelica's blankie, all strewn across the place. Somewhere amongst the mess that had been a kind of den an hour ago I can see toys, some underwear one of them took from the washing basket and a cushion from the couch. I can also see two girls with big smiles and flushed cheeks, throwing themselves around the place.

I am not a prissy mother. I spent most of my childhood being petrified of making a mess and never being able to spread my toys out across the floor. I used to be much tidier in myself, too. Then I had children and realised there is a time for being tidy and a time for letting your kids be kids.

Yes, it would make my life easier if the girls' favourite game was Let's Put The Toys Away or if I didn't have to navigate my way through a mountain of cuddly toys to get to the kitchen but that's never going to happen. I save myself so much stress and energy by not fretting about everything being in its place and letting fun take pride of place in this household. As long as my girls are happy and safe then I am happy too.

So if you dropped by for a visit you might have to step over some building blocks or put up with Natasha rolling around in a strange yellow tunnel, or maybe even see piles of stuff on counters and cabinets, but I'm not going to apologise it. I'm a mother - this is the one time I get to keep a kind of messy household and be proud of it!

No comments:

Post a Comment