Monday 26 July 2010

The Nerves are Back

One week from now I'll have had my anomaly scan. I'll know whether everything is alright and (hopefully) whether this is a little bundle of blue or pink. The nerves only truly hit me this morning. I had a dream about it last night and all my fears started coming out. I think I have been doing much better at keeping my fears in check recently and trying to just enjoy the rest of my pregnancy but I am starting to get nervous again now.

Lately I have been thinking about the regret I have from the start of my pregnancy. My regret is that I broke a promise I made to myself just before I got my BFP (Big Fat Positive). My BFP came at a strange time for me because I had just decided that I couldn't handle another miscarriage and to call a halt to TTC. At the same time I made a promise to myself that if I did ever get another BFP that I would enjoy every moment and throw myself into making the most of every day that I had with my baby, however long or short that time would be.

I broke my promise to myself very quickly. I went into hiding almost. I was too scared to talk about my pregnancy on JM because I was aware that the more boards I joined, the more I would have to leave. I had thrown myself into enjoying my pregnancy with Daisy and having to retrace my steps and say goodbye was one of the hardest parts after losing her. I didn't take any belly pics for weeks because I didn't want another set that ended abruptly. I was too scared to let my work colleagues guess what was going on because I didn't want to have to send around another round of emails if things went wrong again.

I introduced myself to my Due Date Club and then felt too nervous to join in the conversation. I rejoined other pregnancy boards and then felt too worried to post again. I felt in a way that I was worried about jinxing things if I spoke about it too much. I kept making new promises to myself - that after the next scan I would start to relax, and then the next scan and so on. I wished away the first three months of my pregnancy. In all honesty it wasn't until I felt the first hard, definite kicks around a month ago that I actually relaxed and started to enjoy things.

Now I look back at the wasted months at the start when I could have been making the most of things and letting myself bond with my baby instead of worrying about losing another pregnancy. I have started to really make the most of this pregnancy now - I am enjoying everything from picking out new bedding to thinking about a coming home outfit for the baby. I even feel like I look pretty cute during this pregnancy - certainly better than I did with my girls (isn't that supposed to be a sign I'm having a boy?)

But I could have been enjoying all these things so much sooner if I had kept my promise. I am normally the kind of person that tries to enjoy every day because you never know what's going to happen tomorrow. I wish that I could go back and relive the first few weeks all over again.

I catch myself thinking 'Next time...' more and more often now. I feel strange letting myself think about a possible #4 when I had stopped TTC #3. We're a long way away from reaching that stage but already I am questioning whether I could cope with the possibility of things being difficult again. I keep coming back to an image of us as a family with four children though. It's something I can't shake.

For now, I just want to get past next Monday and feel safe and secure with this pregnancy again. Right now Monday feels like a lifetime away. I'm going to be counting down the days until then - while not trying to wish any more of my pregnancy away.

1 comment:

  1. .... when you're pregnant after a loss, it is SO hard to not worry, to not spend hours on end freaking out. I went into both of my pregnancies with the girls, telling myself I had to enjoy every moment, make the most of it, not sweat the small stuff.... but as soon as those two lines come up, the memories come back, the anxiety comes back.. and well, it can just be damn impossible to not worry.....

    so I say, enjoy the moments you can, but also don't feel bad for being human... a human woman a that!

    ReplyDelete