Monday 23 August 2010

"So I guess we're getting fish then..."

That's what I said as the girls and I made our visit to the pet shop last week and I watched my quiet little Natasha running up and down from tank to tank screaming, "FI-I-I-I-I-I-ISH!" to each one she arrived at. I have never seen her so excited about anything, even the guinea pigs! Watching her press her hands against the glass and grin with excitement before moving to the next tank and doing the same thing had me in fits of laughter, and her sister too who referred to her as a 'silly sausage'.

It became clear that all my fabled thoughts of getting fish 'one day' were coming closer. No longer was this a five-ten-years-down-the-line thing, this was an immanent plan. I sighed, thinking about all the tank cleaning and worrying about finding one floating on top of the water that was ahead for us, but the sight of my girls side by side, admiring the swimming wildlife melted my heart.

I think pets are good for children. Within reason of course - I can't see Angelica petting a leopard or something - but they teach them many things about life. When Natasha was born Angelica knew instinctively to be gentle because she had learned that from handling the guinea pigs and hopefully Natasha will be the same when the baby arrives. They've both learned the responsibility of caring for another living thing, they take turns feeding them and they show genuine love for them. It's amazing to see.

With fish things will be a bit different, I know. There's no petting them, feeding time is minimal and there'll be multiple arguments about which stupid china castle to buy for the tank, I am sure, but I can see them catching their imagination and hopefully give them an extra distraction to keep them busy and out from under my feet when I'm trying to cook dinner!

So my next question is: any fish experts out there? I need advice and I need it quickly!

No comments:

Post a Comment