Monday 19 April 2010

To Tell or Not To Tell?

That was the question I'd been pondering in the run up to the summer term starting today. Two and a half weeks ago the spring term ended and that very night I got my BFP. Two and a half weeks on, I still didn't know whether to tell anyone yet or not.

I have done it both ways. I have shared my joy with the colleagues I consider good friends and then had to give them bad news later on. I have also kept quiet, not had a chance to share my happiness and not known what to say when asked why I've not been myself. Initially I thought that I should at least wait until after Friday, but I felt like I needed some prayers and hope on my side before the scan so I told three of my closest friends. I am very glad that I did. Their reactions helped to put aside some of the negativity that's been hanging over me since my doctor's appointment two weeks ago. It just gave me a boost to see happy smiles instead of sympathetic ones.

There were good points and bad points to being back at work today. On the plus side, I really do love my job and the people I work with. It was great to see them again and to catch up with their news. On the down side, I missed my family so much. I had been used to waking up and greeting my girls, taking them for walks, enjoying my time with them and just having the chance to spend some time with them where every second of the day isn't planned out to the last second to fit everything in.

The greeting when I walk through the door is always worth it though. I love the big hugs and cuddles and all the excitement, or the smiles when they wake if it's nap time. Angelica has recently outgrown her nap so I got home just in time to play some silly games, making faces in the mirror, turning her toy duck into a superhero and - her current favourite - the 'What noise does *something* make?' game. She loves to play that both ways round - either making the noise or humiliating us by getting us to make the noise.

It started as a simple game, along the lines of "What noise does a cat make? or "What noise does a car make?" Now it's somewhat more elaborate with dumb combinations like "What noise does a pigeon at a football match make?" (The answer to that is 'Cooooo! Cooooo! GOOOOOAAAAAL!') It's all very silly and great fun - for us, let alone Angelica!

I did enjoy being back at work today, but I am very glad I am home to spend a fun evening with two very silly girls who always make me laugh.

No comments:

Post a Comment