Friday 9 July 2010

Not Tonight, I Have a Headache...

I've had an enforced break from blogging, and from the internet in general. I have been living in Migraine Land. Let me tell you, it's not the nicest place to take a vacation. It started when I was around 10 weeks pregnant, give or take. I started getting frequent headaches but thought that the worry of approaching 12 weeks and having several loss anniversaries clustered together was making them worse. When I reached 12 weeks and my scan went perfectly I thought the stress would lift, but my headaches became worse.

Hitting the second trimester brought almost daily migraines. I had headaches in the 2nd trimester with both my girls but this is the first time I've made it this far since developing migraines and I was completely unprepared for it. Computers have been triggering them or making them worse and some websites had become impossible to visit.

I have tackled the problem with something so simple I don't know why I didn't think of it before. I'm using a coloured overlay to change the brightness of the screen. I'd found sites with a dim, blue/grey tone were much easier to visit than sites with a white background and a stronger contrast of tones. The blue overlay I'm using tones down websites and other pages so I am able to use the internet without the screen triggering migraines, as long as I take a lot of breaks. I have also been prescribed some stronger pain relief, although I am reluctant to take it too often for obvious reasons.

An estimated 16-17% of the world's population will experience a migraine at some point in their life. If you suffer from migraines or headaches then why not check out this JM group for advice, suggestions and support:

http://www.justmommies.com/forums/groups/108-migraines-and-headaches.html

It's good to be back!

No comments:

Post a Comment